dijous, 15 d’agost del 2013

Delta Airlines Sucks and TripAdvisor Sucks as well


We're in the peak of our tourism season, so there are few news to post, then I've decided to write something here as a plain cosumer and tell about my "travel experience" some tome ago. Basically, this post is about how airlines and TripAdvisor make all possible efforts to hide away complaints.

Two months ago I flew from Bogota to Barcelona via Atlanta. First, the nice and ignorant 'chica' at the check-in counter in Bogota insisted on my picking up my luggage in Atlanta: it wasn't due for transit as I was staying there for more than 6 hours. Fine, ok -- well, no, such an idiot thing, I really wanted to see Atlanta downtown and saw myself dragging my luggage all over the place... but fortunalety in Atlanta they thought my luggage to be on transit or so, and after repeatedly confirming with several desks that it didn't get lost, I happily undertook my 5-hour-sightseeing.

The evenning plane to Barcelona was then delayed for some 4 hours. Not many excuses, no free drinks or food (yonks ago it happened the same to us in Santiago de Chile and we were given free soft drinks and sandwiches by LAN Chile... hi Deltaaaa... is that an idea for you ??).

Of course we arrived to Barcelona with a huge delay, I lost a morning of work (I had solemnly promised to be on my desk early that very morning, but didn't hit my office till afternoon). My departure from Barcelona Airport to my home place was further delayed because, on top of it all, my luggage was left in Atlanta -- after, I guess, a long online discussion between Delta's ground teams on Bogota and Atlanta. So, that was the perfect topping to a desastrous trip: in case you've never been to one, be advised that luggage claim desks boast the slowliest and most tense queues in the entire world so I was standing there for ages while my friends were waiting for me outside.

I got my luggage two days later. No compensations for this whole mess, not even the smallest excuse.

I wrote an email to Delta, unanswered up to date.

But the best of all was that I wanted to write a criticism on TripAdvisor. Then I found out: even to read people's opinions on airlines you must be registered (you don't need to if you want to read opinions on hotels). So I guess the criticism I wrote in TripAdvisor has been 'buried' somewhere in their server and no one read it... And then I ask myself... how much do airlines pay to TripAdvisor for 'hiding away' the users' opinions by hiding them away via a compusory registration? So why are hotel's criticisms open to any peeper while compulsory registration is needed to ckeck their

There is no other thing I can do to relief my anger than writing this down.... I completely agree with this article, only Catalan version, excuse me!

Anyhow flying has become a boring, tiring and sometimes patience-demanding matter. It wasn't like this some years ago. So why do attendants still smile at us the whole time? It would be much more honest from them cracking a wheep over the passengers' rows, for what this is what we have become: sheep in their hands.

UPDATED August 22nd 2013: After two months, finally Delta wrote to me granting a 50-euro-discount on my next trip... very generous... hhhhh...