dimecres, 26 de febrer del 2014

News from the travel agencies

Yes, they are there and they do exist. This week you can read on L'Econòmic a very interestinng interview with the president of the travel agencies' association. This association is actually called "specialized travel agencies' association" -- nowadays when the words "specialized" and "travel agency" come together it seems like a pleonasm to me.

But some interesting views were put forth: the industry has lost some 5000 selling points all over Spain (waw!) since the inception of the crisis. And we're not done yet... It was an over-dimensioned industry that now is gaining back a more realistic shape. Another very interesting point is the fact that Internet allows the general public for the shopping of "loose products or services", i.e. one flight or one hotel room, but once these must come as a bundle you then need a professional connecting the many different aspects of a "complex" voyage.

As for the new technologies, they have allowed the travel agent being closer to his customers even when these are on the journey far away from home and from the selling point so the new technologies are not necessarily the killers of the industry but also a useful tool.

I've checked myself on the matter. When do I go to my travel agent? Well, I go to his shop when I need a plane ticket to cross the Ocean. I know my travel agent gets a ridiculous commission, and, best of all, he allows me to pay in two or three instalments, which is of course very convenient, provided you know your departure day some months in advance. Payment by instalments is not offered by any OTA so there is still room for the "regular" travel agencies on the market. Of course, until the former allow for some payment's flexibility, but until  we come to that point some time shall elapse...